Let's catch up on my life since 2010. For starters, I'm transgender. I go by Amie now. they/their pronouns, or she/her. I'm probably going to backport a bunch of "transition diary" posts from tumblr, since LJ feels like a safer place to keep all that. First, though, I'm gonna backport this timeline from Evernote, as a clifs notes version of those intervening 6 years.
- 2010 october - I go to tranarchy(local Austin genderfuck event) for the first time, dress as Alice for halloween - making some lite headway into exploring gender, after having gone out in public as a woman for the first time on halloween 2008, with k477uk(not linked because ex's friend).
- 2010 november - tranarchy 2, meet Helena, the first IRL trans woman I know, she's a friend of friends, but I wind up not spending much time with those friends. We have coffee once, where she tells me all about her transition thus far.
- 2011 January 1 - bay house, write down thoughts on gender, begin "operation executive transvestite" - i.e. dressing as femme as I think I can at work, and gradually smashing my own ideas about gendered presentation, as well as my work's expectations.
- 2011 March 19 - tell heather I think I am transgender, intend to transition, take hormones, etc
- 2011 December 1 - laid off from RCR. I had hoped to continue to shift my presentation and eventually come out there. Sadly their finances didn't hold out. I continued freelancing for them for 2 years, but essentially I worked myself out of a job
- 2012, end - understand that I need to transition, begin looking for a therapist and taking steps in earnest
- 2013 May - begin therapy w/ Melissa Hargrave
- 2013 July - receive letter recommending HRT from Melissa Hargrave
- 2013 August - request HRT from GP, receive referral to endocrinologist
- 2013 August 30 - married lemonchiffon - It was a small courthouse thing, we both wore black dresses, we had 2 friends there to witness, fiercecupcake and J$, and then we went to the bay for the weekend.
- 2013 September - denied by dr. Fehrenkamp, request info from GEAR(Dallas based trans group)
- 2013 November - move ahead with Kate Wanstrom without insurance - first visit is $200, subsequent visits are $75. Normal doctor visits would be cheaper, but at the time this is the best option I can find
- 2014 March 3 - Met Schell, my first IRL trans woman friend. My friend Rachel introduces us because Schell's just come out, her marriage is falling apart. We drive down to SATX to see Against Me!, and become close friends for just under 2 years.
- 2014 May - come out to alacorn, my sister
- 2014 October - come out to heather's family, basically by accident. Apparently Pinterest is sharing the fact that i'm pinning transition related things to a secret board, even tho the board isn't available to the people it's sharing this with. Additionally, I forgot to add Heather's brother-in-law to the correct FB group, so he can see that I've set my gender to Genderqueer, and tells the family. It goes badly, and I'm asked not to come for the holidays.
- 2014 November - laid off from NetworkIP. I've been out to my friends for years, so work is the last context where I'm not myself. NetIP is based in Longview,TX, where Heather's family is, and the higher ups are pretty conservative, so I was terrified of coming out.
- 2014 November 8 - come out to my parents. Heather and I figured with how badly things were going with her family, we might as well either rip off the bandaid, or gain some support through a tough time. To the shock of everyone, it turns out to be the latter.
- 2014 November 20 - come out to my extended family. I wrote an email to my entire family, which you can read here. I'm not surprised at all that my mom's family was supportive, it's kinda what they do. My dad's family was also cool about it.
- 2014 December 8 - come out on facebook. I used the same letter, at this point it's basically only news to a few friends from back home, and some ex-coworkers I don't use for references.
- 2014 December 31 - pierce my ears. 33 is pretty old to be doing this for the first time, lol
- 2015 January 20 - start new job as Amie. I'd been interviewing as myself since the fall, but job hunting in Q4 isn't usually terribly successful.
- 2015 January 31 - 1st brow waxing
- 2015 February 4 - start progesterone. Did this for 3 months, didn't change much, just gave me artificial PMS. stopped after 3 months
- 2015 February - come out on linkedin. After the suitable amount of time that I'm sure I'm happy at my new job
- 2016 March 24 - begin laser hair removal. I got a substantial bonus at work, which paid off a bunch of debt from previous layoffs, but I managed to sock away 3 months worth of laser treatments
- 2016 May 4 - Legal gender marker & name change. Did it myself, cos who has $1K to spend on lawyers?
That basically catches us up to now.